Beyond the Closet Door...

A friend recently shared that she had spent time with Jesus in the morning, as she always does, but that morning her heart just wasn’t in it.

She told the Lord in all honesty how she felt. Even though she was still feeling down, she chose to count her blessings and remember that she is loved.

In my own way, I knew what she meant.

There have been rare mornings when I pray aloud, read my daily Scriptures, worship with music, and write, yet it seems as if all that time spent in my prayer closet is hitting the ceiling. I could relate to her heart not being in it, because I’ve felt that way too. But I never caved in and quit.

My friend’s honesty made me stop and think about my own time with the Lord—and why I had felt that way, since it seems so unlike where I am now.

Since November 2025, I’ve made a commitment to spend time with Jesus each morning. I love getting up early to meet with my Heavenly Father. I read the Bible aloud, speak Scripture aloud, journal, pray, worship, and work on my writings.

That commitment has built a much stronger and sturdier foundation. When I look at where I was and where God has brought me, I can see a much stronger, more resilient man in Christ today.

This old bedroom down the hallway has become my haven. It’s where I spend time alone, renewing and rebooting my soul and body.

It is also where I have divine fellowship with my Heavenly Father in Christ Jesus.

After several hours, I start my day. I open the bedroom door, and in one single step, my mode shifts...

It’s as if I have instantly teleported into a whole other dimension, right into the work God has called me to do for that day.

I am a caregiver for my dad, and I tend to the things the day requires. Some of that work is tiring, even though it doesn’t come with a paycheck—which I couldn’t care less about.

But, to be honest, somewhere between leaving my prayer closet and going about the day, it seems that some days I lose a conscious awareness of the Lord’s presence. That is the most disturbing part: when it does not feel as if He is with me like He was during those early morning hours.

That doesn’t mean He stayed behind in my bedroom.

“The prayer closet has a door, but God’s presence isn’t shut inside it at all!!!”

I was just reminded by the Holy Spirit about the Israelites in the wilderness. The Lord went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night, guiding them on their journey (Exodus 13:21–22).

God also told Moses, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest” (Exodus 33:14).

I don’t step outside my bedroom and see a pillar of cloud leading me down the hallway.

But I do believe the Lord is with me, leading and guiding me throughout the day, even when I do not sense or see Him and, at times, am not consciously aware of Him being right there.

I can turn to Him everywhere my feet go, just as surely as I can kneel before Him in my room. I can carry that posture of humility with me beyond those early morning hours when I sense Him so strongly.

If your heart is not fully into your prayer time, just tell Him that.

My friend did, and I applaud her honesty!

It helped me look deep inside and search my own heart. The time we set aside with God can build a strong foundation that we can continue to build upon. When it seems He is not there, we can rest assured that He has not left us or forsaken us at all.

This song is my personal prayer for anyone who happens to read this writing. I am prophesying it as the Lord speaks it over and into your life today, in Jesus’ name!


Holy Spirit...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"From Isolation to Community: A Jericho Epiphany at OCC"

Nothing is Wasted: One Community Church

Deep in Serve Mode